Safety plan

What to do in case of an attack

In case of attack call the police No. 158 or 112!

  • When attacked try to avoid a rooms without windows and doors. The most dangerous rooms are bathroom and toilet.
  • Try to get to the exit and escape.
  • Before the arrival of the police do not clean up any signs of violence. Try to talk to police without the presence of a partner. If you are attacked visit doctor – specialist and let her / him write a medical report. If the partner was not detained by police you should consider alternative accommodation, contact the crisis center in your area that will help you orient yourself in the situation. If possible do not leave without your children and tell about it your friend(s) or relative(s) that you trust, from which you can get at least short-term help.

The escape plan from abuser in case of long-term violence

  • Plan and think ahead about escape routes from all doors and windows.
  • Think ahead about where you will go if you get out of the apartment or house.
  • Arrange a signal with your neighbors, a sign that will indicate that you need help and they should call the police for example: shouting, banging on the wall…
  • Teach your children to use the phone and call the police, children should know where is the safe place in the apartment – a room that can be locked, or how to escape to the neighbors if they needed help.
  • Explain to children that their job is to stay safe and not to defend or protect you.
  • Confide to friend or relative that you trust, from which you can get at least short-term help.
  • Keep the medical reports about violence, important documents outside the home, out of his reach.
  • Make sure that you have nest egg for travel, overnight accommodation, meals and change for bus.
  • Pack your emergency bag with money, clothes, medicines and important documents.
  • If possible, do not leave without the children.
  • The things that matter to you (photos, valuables) take out of the house.
  • If you want to leave violent partner –; move away from him, plan it for the time he is not going to be at home for longer time (at work, on a business trip …), to where you are going tell just to people that you trust.
  • Contact the crisis center in your area that can help you deal with your situation.

When leaving the abuser take with you:

  • ID card, passport
  • insurance card (yours and your children)
  • marriage certificate
  • birth certificates (yours and your children)
  • driving and vehicle registration
  • money, credit cards, passbooks
  • keys to the apartment, house, car
  • medication
  • evidence of violence (medical records)
  • documents about the apartment, house, loans, mortgages, leases
  • spare clothes
  • things of sentimental value